RE: IBC 2000-Sup 2001

The supplements are normally not adopted by the local jurisdictions, unless
they feel there is a compelling need to adopt it. Through my 14 years of
involvement in plan review I have never seen a city adopt the supplements.
However, it does provide a guideline for a new method or material to be
considered if it is not in the current edition of the code.

In regard to why there are interim code hearings, may be having them every
year is excessive, as IBC decided this year. However, having an interim
hearing makes sense in the way that it allows you to propose the changes in
increments, and also a second chance to get a good idea in the code instead
of waiting for another 3 years.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA