RE: IBC 2000-Sup 2001

Ben:

I agree that interim code hearings are needed.  Our codes are large
and complex enough that there are ALWAYS a few substantial conflicts
to be repaired.  Our knowledge of seismic performance is so incomplete
that significant surprises (some of which would pose a real threat to
safety) are always just around the corner.

However, I believe that making hundreds of (largely uncoordinated)
incremental changes over the course of several years is what has made
our codes the disgraceful mess that they are today.  Quite often code
change proposals represent a "second chance to get a" BAD "idea in the
code instead of waiting for another 3 years."

When I use interim ballot drafts of Standards I know to exercise
extreme caution as the material does not yet represent a consensus and
has not been completely considered or fully coordinated.  Sadly, I've
found that our building codes are no better than interim drafts as
there is no time for the necessary consideration and no mechanism to
perform the needed coordination.

-Mike

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                   E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com
Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire Inc.              Tel:(206)292-1200
1301 Fifth Ave, #3200,  Seattle  WA 98101-2699      Fax:        -1201