RE: New Openings in (E) CMU/Concrete Bldg

For openings in existing CMU, I reinforce the top of the opening before
cutting the opening, to avoid the unreinforced CMU from being loaded as a
lintel from the weight above without support below. I show an angle at each
face of the CMU above the opening, with its outstanding horizontal leg
extending into the mortar joint below the CMU to be supported, i.e. the
mortar joint to be routed out for installation. I extend the angle beyond
the opening on each side for support by the adjacent full height block. I
also bolt the angles into the CMU with drilled-in masonry anchors.
Sequencing is covered by drawing notes. This provides a flush metal support
without outstanding flanges.