VCR Alert:"Collapse: Failure by Design" on Discovery Channel

I assume you are referring to your editorial in the February 2001 "Structure" magazine.  Your editorial was not poorly written but I disagree with your statements about structural engineers being poorly paid. Of the structural engineers I personally know, very few do not either moonlight or have a second job because they need the money. Also, I have found very few engineering firms that actually support any type of professional activity. They may advertise that they do, but typically there is some economic reason to prevent it.

Like my father, I embraced engineering as a profession. I am a Structural Engineering regardless of where I am employed. Lately, I have noticed that younger engineers do not regard this type of work as anything more than a job and consider it a stepping stone to something that pays better.
They complain about the amount of calculation work that has to be done and if they cannot do it with a computer, it can't be done. Writing HTML or JAVA twelve hours a day is easier that working on structural calculations. Plus you don't have to put up with building contractors either.

Please review some of articles I have written at http://home.flash.net/~davisp2/philosophy.html. Is this the type of advocacy you are after?

"Caldwell, Stan" wrote:

That is part of the daunting, long-term mission of the Advocacy Committee of NCSEA.  As you might recall, I recently wrote an editorial asking for an army of volunteer structural engineering speakers and writers.  It has now been nearly two full months since that editorial was published, and the results have been abysmal (only two engineers responded).  Either the editorial was poorly written, or structural engineers fit the apathetic stereotype that society has given them.  If the latter, what a sad commentary!