From: Davis Parsons [mailto:dparsons(--nospam--at)msc-engineers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 4:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: VCR Alert:"Collapse: Failure by Design" on Discovery Channel

Stan:

I assume you are referring to your editorial in the February 2001
"Structure" magazine.  Your editorial was not poorly written but I disagree
with your statements about structural engineers being poorly paid. Of the
structural engineers I personally know, very few do not either moonlight or
have a second job because they need the money. Also, I have found very few
engineering firms that actually support any type of professional activity.
They may advertise that they do, but typically there is some economic reason
to prevent it.

Like my father, I embraced engineering as a profession. I am a Structural
Engineering regardless of where I am employed. Lately, I have noticed that
younger engineers do not regard this type of work as anything more than a
job and consider it a stepping stone to something that pays better.
They complain about the amount of calculation work that has to be done and
if they cannot do it with a computer, it can't be done. Writing HTML or JAVA
twelve hours a day is easier that working on structural calculations. Plus
you don't have to put up with building contractors either.

Please review some of articles I have written at
http://home.flash.net/~davisp2/philosophy.html
<http://home.flash.net/~davisp2/philosophy.html> . Is this the type of
advocacy you are after?

"Caldwell, Stan" wrote:

That is part of the daunting, long-term mission of the Advocacy Committee of
NCSEA.  As you might recall, I recently wrote an editorial asking for an
army of volunteer structural engineering speakers and writers.  It has now
been nearly two full months since that editorial was published, and the
results have been abysmal (only two engineers responded).  Either the
editorial was poorly written, or structural engineers fit the apathetic
stereotype that society has given them.  If the latter, what a sad
commentary!