Re: RE: Moment Frames Constructed of Structural Tubing

See also The Hollow Structural Section Conncetions manual by AISC, The Steel Tube Institute And AISI.  Chapter 5 deals with moment connections.  Also, research whether you will be forced to characterize the structure as an ordinary moment resisting frame due to inability to meet strong column-weak beam requirements, or others.
Tom Higgins
>>> "Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> 04/25 6:07 PM >>>
First of all, REMEMBER (if you don't know this already) that the main source
of information regarding design of such connections is NOT AISC or any
portion thereof, but AWS D 1.1. This caused me quite the runaround until I
figured it all out myself.

I would suspect that the latest provisions therein reflect something of the
Northridge experience, but OTOH that seemed to be so much a function of WF
connections that I might be mistaken.

The provisions of the AWS code are quite baroque (and you know what they
say: "If it ain't baroque, don't fix it!") Let me know if you need further
discussion.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas