Regarding the design of wood beams for the exit live load of 100 psf, any
comments on the following approach?:
- Strength : check beam for 100 psf live load and a load duration factor of
1.25 (seven days duration). This should be conservative as an
emergency exit load is of very short duration.
- Serviceability : check beam for 60 psf live load (this is a cantilevered
walkway). Who really cares what the deflection is in an emergency as long
as everything holds up?
Eric Lehmkuhl, S.E.
KPFF Consulting Engineers, San Diego
(619) 521 8500 phone
(619) 521 8591 fax
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org