Re: Concrete tank's vertical reinforcement

Susan,

	Your best bet with today's technology is to do a finite element
analysis, otherwise, any reasonably accurate manual analysis is really a
lot of work due to the constraint complications.

	If the base and floor are rigidly connected the maximum hoop stress
will probably be above the bottom by about 5 or 6 times the wall
thickness.  If you want a really crude estimate of the vertical bending
you can calculate the hoop strain and transform this into vertical beam
deflections to estimate the curvature and hence the bending moments.

	James is right about the importance of through thickness temperature
except that the "bending" takes place both vertically and horizontally.
Don't forget to put the temperature reinforcing on the COLD side of the
tank wall!

	Hope this is helpful.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson