Re: a passing

> Williston L. Warren, IV - S.E. wrote:
>
> I heard today that Egor Popov died.  Retired Professor at UC Berkley.
>

> Williston "Bill" L. Warren, IV - S.E.
> Structural Engineering SOLutions
> Newport Beach, California

This is sad news. I had the priviledge of taking a couple of courses
under Professor Popov at Berkeley, and I considered him to be one of the
true superstars of the engineering field. Not only was he brilliant, but
his work had tremendous practical applications. Also, he had a warm and
engaging personality, and a great sense of humor that not all of us
engineers are blessed with.

He was also a well-rounded educated man. On several occasions I remember
lectures where he would use a word I didn't know, and I would be so
curious that I would scribble it in the margin of my notebook so I would
remember to look it up later. 20 years later, I still recall the time he
said, after working through some particularly difficult aspect of
engineering mechanics on the board, "now that we've made it though that
Valhalla..." I went home and looked that up and found out that Valhalla
was the hall of the dead of the Norse god Odin. Not the typical thing
you pick up in an engineering class.

I also think of Professor Popov in light of the current thread about
"Engineers don't get no respect."  I doubt that he, or T.Y. Lin, or Ray
Clough, or Vitelmo Bertero, etc., for that matter,  spent any time
worrying about engineers getting no respect. He had all the respect in
the world because he earned it.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC