From: Mark Gilligan [mailto:MarkKGilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 7:26 AM
To: INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: double bolt rows

Jason

With regards to the use of a double row of bolts you stated that  " A
rational and conservative design method would be to design the bolt group
for the full eccentricity between the centroid of bolts and the support."

 I would appreciate if you could explain the assumptions and explain why
this method is conservative for the case where the connection is used as a
drag.

I would expect that an appropriate approach would be to assume that the
connection was fully fixed for design and calculate the resulting moment at
the center of the bolt group.

Mark Gilligan