bridge inspection

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] I have a similar situation in Michigan at a campground, however, in my case the campground owns and maintains a bridge. They are performing some new construction and needed to know if the bridge could withstand the construction trucks. We performed an inspection and load rating of the bridge. The inspection was detailed, as we would do on any county bridge, however, the report was limited in that we did not complete all of the paperwork that the state would require, as most of it is for database purposes only. We also recommended to the owner that they have an inspection performed every 2 years (with the limited paperwork), as if it was a public bridge. We made this recommendation because we think it is a good idea, but also because of their potential liability - what could they say if the bridge failed and a lawyer asked the question "if almost every bridge in the country is inspected every 2 years, why did you feel you didn't have to?".