RE: Advocacy - Voice of the Engineer

The last sentence of the message that you sent included the term :
" Engineers to assume a leadership role"

This is very interesting to me. Last week I participated in a two day
seminar on " leadership development for the Engineer"

This class was sponsored by the ASCE and the teacher was Mr... Charles C
Calhoun , Jr., PE , F.ASCE . He  retired from the United States Army Core of
engineers. The class was in Phoenix Arizona and I recommend it to all
engineers.

I would like to share some of the items regarding

" Observation of Engineering / Leadership"

...an engineer is hired for his or her technical skills , fired for poor
people skills and promoted for leadership and management skills.    Russell
and Yao

.. random survey of 20 ( large) engineering firms ... found that none had a
formal leadership development program in place ..most sought skills ... is
constantly "engineering managers with leadership skills"    Krug(1996)

Some engineering educators and practitioners claim that undergraduate
engineering education actually drives youthful potential leaders away from
the leadership function    walesh (1995)

The  engineer who must use their left brains to deal with technique and
technology : Your primary problems are people. And you can't solve people
problems with thing.   Covey 1992
Note : By Thing Covey  means objects and material things. He indicates that
management deals with things but leadership is dealing with people.

To lead yourself use your head , to lead others use your heart.   maxwell
(1998)

Some say leaders are born , not made. I am not sure .. , but I am sure they
can be developed and their skills enhanced.     Genega