From: Karma Yonten [mailto:kyonten(--nospam--at)seas.gwu.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 9:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: advice

Hello there,

I'm a structural engineering student at GWU; I got my B.S. in engineering
physics, and I don't have much background in S.E. par se. What makes a good
structural engineer, that is, what kind of tool and skill must you have?
I'm
studying a lot of theories, and that's what I've been doing all my life, but

theories without applications seem pointless, and I've been quite frustrated

with that.  Studying is one thing and applying is quite another; they go
together, but it doesn't mean that if you're good at theories, you'll be
good
at applying them because in reality there are a lot of things that you have
consider that studying theories often don't give you that experience.  I'm
interested in all aspects of structural engineering, designing, analysis
etc.
What are some of the good tools that you use daily, that I need to be
familar
or even have expertise on if I seriously thing about pursuing this career? I

would be grateful if you could pass down some advice to a perspective
structural engineer.

Thanking you.
Sincerely,
Karma Yonten