Re: advice

It is useful (maybe vital) to be able to visualize in 3 dimensions (space,
if you will).

As an often recruiter and trainer of new graduates (and new hires), I walk
him (or her) thru a set of drawings (structural, mechanical, piping).  In a
short time I find myself pointing at a member (or whatever) on the drawing
with one hand and gesturing in the air with the other where the item is.
The person who can "see" in space is one who can visualize.

You're at GWU.  I believe Bechtel still has an office in Gaithersburg.  You
should be able to find a structural engineer who would be willing (eager
even) to thumb thru a set of drawings with you on his lunch time.  In a
matter of minutes, you should be able to tell if you have a natural skill
in this area.  I'd start with the "Chief Structural" and tell him what
you're about.  He'll might even take some time with you himself.

Again, if you can mentally translate flat drawings into "space", you
probably have the key skill required for structural engineering.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561

----------
> From: Karma Yonten <kyonten(--nospam--at)seas.gwu.edu>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: advice
> Date: Friday, April 27, 2001 11:47 AM
>
> Hello there,
>
> I'm a structural engineering student at GWU;

<snip>

What makes a good
> structural engineer, that is, what kind of tool and skill must you have?

<snip>

> What are some of the good tools that you use daily, that I need to be
familar
> or even have expertise on if I seriously thing about pursuing this
career?
<snip>