RE: Etabs Version 7

We have had plenty of experience with the buggyness (special engineering
term) of V7.  The latest patch is 15 as far as I am aware.  We believe that
for concrete the program is finally working to the point where we are
comfortable with the answers generated, assuming a regular building.  We
have expended a considerable amount of time/effort working with version 7 on
several projects that got started in V7 back before we figured out that
there were some pretty major problems.  If you are not using the latest
patch I recommend that you update at
ftp://ftp.csiberkeley.com/webdld/etabs/715n or
ftp://ftp.csiberkeley.com/webdld/etabs/715p for non-linear or plus version
respectively.  As with Paul F, we feel like beta testers for CSI, one of our
engineers is on a first name basis with the senior staff at CSI!!

In general the concrete post processor seems to be working although there
are still some usability issues that stem from CSI's belief that if some
element, for example joint shear, does not calc out then the whole model is
wrong and the program stops checking the rest of the joints.  The rule/logic
seems to be if one item don't work then they all don't work and you just
need to know that there is a problem, not where and by how much!!  I
understand that CSI felt that this would decrease the run time!!!!!!!!

I would say that unless the project is a fairly typical structure and type
that has analyzed before and I kind of know what to expect, then V7 is still
not at a point where my confidence level would allow me to take the output
seriously without a lot of arm waving and there is not usually time and/or
money to do that.

Good Luck

Nicholas Blackburn