RE: Engineering compensation

>I posted the comment about the $60,000 framer for the same reason that it
>was posted that a plumber makes more than an engineer; to illustrate what is
>a general inequity in an engineer's pay.
First, what we pay for a plumber should be compared with what our clients
pay for an hour of engineering time. As I recollect the rule of thumb is
3x salary plus whatever additional overhead gets tacked on to support
non-billable salaried people. I expect when you compare salaries or AGI
with bennies added in rather than billing rates for plumbers against your
take home, you'll get a little different picture.

Second, why should a master plumber make less (or more) than an engineer?
Look who makes money in the US--CEO's, athletes, movie stars, talking
heads and people who get commissions for selling someone else's work,
irrespective of what they actually contribute. Even if engineering were
inherently more valuable than plumbing (or welding or nursing or
teaching) we don't pay people for what they contribute in the US. I hear
this is just the invisible hand of the marketplace, but I suspect it's
the invisible hand of Darwin teaching us the lesson it taught the dodo
and the wooly mammoth.

I finally found the original version of this on a plumbing web site, not
a philosophy site--
"The society that scorns excellence in plumbing just because plumbing is
a humble activity, and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is
an exalted activity, will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy.
Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." - John William
Gardner