Re: 2nd floor addition

Is this a raised floor house or a slab foundation?
With the added ht. you will need to be concerned with the lateral
analysis.
How is the lateral load carried at present? by plywood on the exterior
walls? You will probably have to add more and add holdowns, etc. If you
don't have wall sections at least 4.5' (5 ft. on the second floor) you
will have to use Hardy Frames or similar manufactured panels- to meet 2:1
aspect ratio. For the foundation you will likely need to add pad footings
-about 30" sq. about 8 or 10 ft. apart all around plus at strategic
points in the interior.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA