Welding old steel

I'm working on a project that was originally built in 1937 and may need to
weld some reinforcement to some trusses.  I asked my grandfather (one of
those crusty old engineers) about welding A36 steel to A7 and he said a
special electrode was required was required to prevent the weld from being
too brittle.  For some reason, he wasn't carrying any reference material
around with him so he couldn't elaborate.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Jack Creviston, EIT