RE: Welding old steel

Title: RE: Welding old steel

>I'm working on a project that was originally built in 1937 and may need to
>weld some reinforcement to some trusses.
>Can anyone point me in the right direction?

There are two articles in the AISC Engineering Journal that I think will help you:

    "Field Welding to Existing Structures," by David T. Ricker, 1st Qtr 1988
    Reinforcing Steel Members and the Effects of Welding," by Raymond H.R. Tide, 4th Qtr. 1990

If you don't already have them, you can get copies of these articles or back issues by calling Michael Kingston at 312/670-5444.

Also, you might try calling Lincoln Electric at 216/481-8100. Scott Funderburk and Omer Blodgett can help you get started in the right direction.

Charlie