RE: Engineering compensation

Title: RE: Engineering compensation

Gerard Madden wrote:

Stan, do have any decent competition in the area or do your clients have money to blow? Or could it be that you have a corner on the market of some highly technical design. The reason I ask is that when dealing with architects as the prime, they like (so I've heard ... no concrete evidence here) to frequently shop around like buying a used car....

Gerard:

There are plenty of good structural engineering firms in the DFW area.  There are also a number of large, multi-disciplined firms.  There is plenty of competition, and our clients are just as frugal as anyone else's.  Perhaps the difference is that we generally don't work for outside architects unless they approach us and almost beg for our help.  I haven't made a marketing call on an outside architect in the better part of a decade.  Instead, we have built a substantial architecture practice inhouse ("If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".)  All of the other large multi-disciplinary firms in our area have done likewise.  In summary, we almost always sell our services as the prime professional, and often as the sole professional, on building projects as well as on bridge projects.  Working at the top of the food chain is infinitely better than working one rung above the poor geotech (at the bottom).

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
NOT in San Francisco