Re: Round HSS or Steel Pipe??

According to the 1997 HSS Manual, round pipe is produced to ASTM A53
Electric Resistance Welded Pipe) , A500 Cold Formed), A501( Hot Formed),
A618 High Strength Low Alloy), and A847 (High Strength Low Alloy).  Some of
these are not readily available, unless you need mill quantities.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

                    Balmer James
                    <James.Balmer@r      To:     "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    sandh.com>
                    05/01/01 11:40       cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond       Subject:     Round HSS or Steel Pipe??
                    to seaint
                                                                                                                 .

I can not find in the HSS availability list a 1-1/2" outside diameter, 11
gage round HSS.  Because of this, I would tend to classify it as a Steel
Pipe (not a round HSS) and assume the properties per ASTM A53.  (I've had a
person tell me quite emphatically that the section above is structural
tubing and not steel pipe.  However, he has not backed it up yet.)

Is anyone aware of steel pipe being manufactured to ASTM specs other than
A53 and A500?  Also, is it a safe bet that if a round section is not listed
in the ASD manual, then it is not produced to A500?

Thanks in advance.

James Balmer

the views of the company.