RE: Engineering compensation

Stan,

Would it be fair to assume that your work is primarily industrial in nature? If so, I can see how it would work, but on commercial, it seems rare that Multi discipline firms can compete with individual specialty firms who don't want the headaches associated with meeting with Facility Managers and A slew of project managers from the owner.

My past employer was a Multi discipline firm doing mostly industrial work. I found it troublesome because I was associated with the other disciplines no matter how good a job the structural division did. You can have a great structural department and not get squat in terms of good projects if ALL the disciplines can't perform at an equally high level.

One example, was a one story steel canopy structure and truck dock. I got them all the structural construction documents out in a little over a week. Zero plan check comments, 1 RFI, completely smooth. The first day they go to use the damn thing, An 18 Wheeler's jack stand could be heard scraping across the pavement and busting up the asphalt on the dock ramp because the transition slope was too steep and too long. Seems, the Civil department bent over too far for the owner's project manager and actually forgot that a truck has to get in and out of the thing to use it. By association, I look bad, even though my portion went very well.

Generally, cost drives the commercial projects rather than time, which is the major factor in industrial. Round these parts, it's pretty specialized. I've worked for a firm that did 95% Tilt-ups, then 95%  industrial, and now one that does mostly Mid to High Rise new construction with the Top Arch. Firms in the state and worldwide. I have no idea at my level how much of the haggling goes on or even what our fees are, but it seems that the real goal is to establish a solid reputation and long term relationship with Arch. firms doing the kind of work you specialize in. Luckily, my firm has many great engineers with experiences in everything from Roller Coasters, base isolated buildings & retrofits, office buildings, jails, etc... a good array of project types for someone like me, still relatively young and eager to learn, but not about to starve either. As I age, and my kids get closer to college, and as the price of a 2 bedroom house gets to 1 million bucks (about 750k right now ... 1200 square feet ... needs work), I'll be moving to Dallas were Stan will be paying me big bucks (6 figures and  a Luxury Box at Ranger Games) :>) !

-gerard

>>> scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com 05/01/01 11:23AM >>>