RE: 1997 AISC seismic - IBC seismic design category D - OBF brac e connections - column strength

Thanks David.

Orthogonal effects are definitely significant for the specific case I am
thinking about.  Braces and columns were designed considering orthogonal
effects with special load combinations but connections were not.

I agree and think the IBC intends orthogonal effects to be considered with
special load combinations.  The problem is the IBC does not specifically
amend the steel code which it specifically adopts.  The special load
combinations in the AISC Seismic Provisions do not require orthogonal
effects to be considered and this leaves room to debate.

It is also interesting to note that the IBC special load combinations do not
jive with the 1997 AISC Seismic Provision special load combinations.  The
IBC special load combinations include a .2*Sds*I*D vertical component while
the AISC provisions are based on an older code and do not include this
effect.

The only thing I have got a code person or standard person to say is: yes
they don't jive, it seems like the IBC requirements should be used but it is
not written that way. It is kind of hard to require anything with an
interpretation like that because the local engineers are kind of smart and
read the code.

P.S. By my reading of ACI 530-99 and the IBC 2000  it is ok to construct a
masonry shearwall with non-loadbearing glass block with type O mortar or
plastic cement mortar in Southern California.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://www.muni.org/building
Development Services Department