RE: 1997 AISC seismic - IBC seismic design category D - OBF brac e connections - column strength

Title: RE: 1997 AISC seismic - IBC seismic design category D - OBF brace connections - column strength

>Is [the lack of a requirement to consider orthogonal effects] an
>oversight in the conversion to the IBC from the UBC, that the AISC
>[Seismic] Provisions [were not amended to require such consideration]?

I'm seeking a more formal answer to your question, but in the mean time I can tell you that requirements regarding orthogonal effects were considered in the development of the AISC Seismic Provisions, but intentionally written as you read them in the AISC Seismic Provisions. That is, the non-requirement is intentional and, I believe, was intentionally carried in similar fashion forward into the IBC by reference. If I remember correctly, the AISC Committee on Specifications decided that consideration of orthogonal effects should be left to the judgement of the designer. I'll be back later with a more official response when I have it.

Charlie