Plan Checking

List,
What or where is the line on what a structural plan check is supposed to
provide. I have seen plan checks that check nearly nothing and the response
is "you are stamping the drawings not me" to the far end of spell check.
Does ICBO have a standard of performance? My view is plan check should try
to catch gross errors, point to code sections that may not have been
considered, and verify that there is enough information or quality into the
documents to provide life safety and for the inspector to spot items of
importance. If the EOR differs in his opinion on code sections we have a
dilemma.  I think for the most part that a plan checker can not master all
the materials and all the structure types nor be a master
draftsperson/spelling checker. I feel it is the EOR with his nitch who
should know every code item related to his submittal. If the EOR has a
problem with what is required in the code he should not look to shoot the
messenger.  In the case of a dilemma, or in the case of the EOR not feeling
compliance is required(blatant items excepted) I think the EOR should be in
control. Opinions?
Bob Hanson, S.E.