Re: Plan Checking

In a perfect world with perfect plans there would be nothing for structural
plan checkers to do.  Here's a plug for the other side of the story.

Since most structural engineers in the business are in it to make a living,
and not just to pursue a hobby, economics and the local markets are a factor
in the quality of work produced.  This is true to varying degrees, and may
or may not be balanced by other factors relating to things like conscience,
integrity, and concern or lack thereof about getting "caught".  The whole
thing seems to be exacerbated by the observation that fees generally seem to
be less than they were 20 years ago.

This seems to lead in many cases to a lower standard of work, in quality,
code compliance, and completeness, with the plan checker in the role of
"filling the gap".  We all have our war stories, I've seen sealed drawings
for public buildings where the roofs were not even connected to the walls,
by details or notes or anything else.  I've seen things with PE stamps that
shouldn't have gotten past a first semester student of engineering
mechanics.  No plan check.

So at one end of the spectrum, if the engineer is willing to do whatever
he/she can "get away with", the plan checker does seem to be providing a
role in the best interest of the public, that otherwise may be a large gap.
Or another way of saying it is that the playing field is very non-level,
licensing alone is not going to fix it, the "market" is not going to fix it,
and in some cases the plan checker is the only one who seems to "care".

Mark D. Anderson PE