Re: Common roof covered over adjacent buildings

My first thought would be to try and convince the architect this is a
bad idea.  Assuming you have already attempted that (you probably
wouldn't be here if you haven't).  My bet is the architect is worried
about water getting in the joint.  If you can provide him with a detail
that will solve his problem, you might have better luck.  We aren't
supposed to do their job, but sometimes it's required to make our life
easier.

If the above doesn't work, one option could be to pre-drill the "loose"
end of the deck and place LSS holes for screws.  This will maintain
uplift capacity and allow for slippage.  It won't help if you need to
attach to joist wall for diaphragm shear though....

Enjoy,
Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT