Re: Fixed or pinned support

Generally, I consider column bearings to be pinned in my calculations.  If I
found I needed more stiffness, I think I could accomplish it using a
configuration such as you've described.  You didn't provide the anchor bolt
spacing, baseplate thickness/dimensions, column size, fillet weld size,
foundation type/size, column reinforcing, etcetera.

Before I told someone else that they should consider the column to be
pinned, I'd want to be able to prove that it is so.  Even the most "pinned"
connection has a degree of fixity.  Possibly the applied moment does not
exceed this value.

"It is my opinion that this kind of connection is a pinned type connection
and should be treated as such in the calcs."  If it has four anchor bolts
and a footing, I guarantee it has some moment capacity.  It might be your
opinion that it is pinned, but can you demonstrate by calculations?
__________________
John P. Riley, PE, SE
Riley Engineering
20 Oakwood Drive, Blue Grass, Iowa 52726
Tel & Fax:  319-381-3949
jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com

I am checking  a structural computation for a four storey steel framed
building. The framing in the calculation shows fixed supports but the detail
in the plan shows the supports are steel baseplates with 4- 25mm-anchor
bolts. The columns are directly welded to the baseplates. It is my opinion
that this kind of connection is a pinned type connection and should be
treated as such in the calcs.

Alex C. Nacionales, C.E.