RE: Fixed or pinned support

The detail you described could very easily transfer moment into the
foundation.  Examples of this detail (or something very similar to it)
transfering moment are shown in almost every structural steel book on my
shelf; including AISC Steel Design Guide 1 and 7; Structural Steel Design by
Beedle and Galambos; Steel Design Handbook by Tamboli; and Steel Structures
Design and Behavior by Salmon and Johnson.  If you think about it, a column
welded to a baseplate bolted to a concrete foundation is similar to a moment
resisting extended end plate.

Before you jump to any conclusions or reject the submittal, request
additional information on the baseplate design.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
Louisiana