Re: Fixed or pinned support

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Are you checking computer generated calculations? Software I used about 10 years ago, required one element framing into a hinged support to be fixed when modeling the structure. IN the case of a steel framed building the option was to hinge the supports and fix the column connecting to each support, or fix the support and hinge the column bearing on the footing. My point, be sure you understand the parameters/idiosyncrasies of the software and when in doubt, ask the engineer who prepared the calcs.

Steve Privett

Nacionales Alex wrote:

Hello.

I am checking  a structural computation for a four
storey steel framed building. The framing in the
calculation shows fixed supports but the detail in the
plan shows the supports are steel baseplates with 4
25mm-anchor bolts. The columns are directly welded to
the baseplates. It is my opinion that this kind of
connection is a pinned type connection and should be
treated as such in the calcs.

Thank you for your comments.

Alex C. Nacionales, C.E.