From: Jake Watson [mailto:jwatson(--nospam--at)inconnect.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 10:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Need Practical Mechanics of Matl's/Structural Analysis Book

I took the PPE exam, not the SE-1.  As for more depth, lets start by
writing clear questions.  Whoever wrote the exam is not a practicing
engineer.  Questions were outright deceptive and required a numerous
assumptions.  Assumptions may be fine for a written exam were they
could be stated.  When two different assumptions (both possibly
correct) give you two different answers, how are you supposed to list
them?  Furthermore, in Utah I am required to take the PPE.  I can't
take the SE-1.  This means I spent a good deal of time studying things
I have never used and likely never will.  Before you ask more of
unlicensed people, make sure practicing engineers could pass the exam.
 I'll wager that most engineers would not pass the exam I took if they
were forced to take today.  Several senior engineers in my office have
already volunteer they could not.

Thanks for letting me vent....I feel better now.

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. How can you test on a topic like the UBC when even the authors
don't understand it?

-------------------
> Maybe the test should have more depth?

Book

> I wholeheartedly second the statement quoted below.  I took it in
Oct (first
> time the new format was used) and it didn't get much worse than
wL^2/8 or
> PL/4 as far as structural analysis was concerned.  Look in the
neighborhood
> of 4-190 in the silver LRFD or 2-296 in the green ASD for 90% of
everything
> you will need.  The AISC manual is great that way.  I found the
Civil