From: Mark D. Baker <shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: New home noises - need some advice?
Date: Thursday, May 03, 2001 5:35 PM

This won't solve your problem, but will relay a similar story.

I was conducting a framing construction observation in a custom home last
year, about 2:00 p.m. on a very hot day. Roof was framed with heavy ridge,
valley, hip beams. While inside the home, a loud (very loud) popping noise
occured coming from the roof area. My immediate reaction was uhoh,
something is wrong with my design.

The framer thought it was pretty funny that I had never experienced this
before since he sees (hears) it all the time. He convinced me it was due to
temperature changes and the resulting expansion/contraction of wood at
connection locations.

To date I have not been contacted by the owner about loud popping noises
after they moved in. I have been living happily ever after beleiving what
the framer said to be true.

Mark