RE: New home noises - need some advice?

Bob,
I called the owner and asked:

1. The noises (which she calls a "metallic" clicking) are random not cyclic.
2. The weather has been fairly constant here since it is the desert. The
temperature changes have been within 30 degrees over the last six months so
I don't believe this influences the noise.
3. There is no improvement or worsening of the noise that she can attest to
in the last six months.

The home is constructed on a slab on grade. She did inform me that she has
heard other "popping" noises on the exterior walls, which was a different
sound. From what she explained of the exterior wall noise - it sound like
continuation of new home settlement.

I experienced the "new home noises" when moving into my house - which I
designed. I was very young when my family moved into our home in Chicago
which was new and I don't recall hearing settlement sounds (but I was very
young at the time). I think most of in the engineering community are a bit
unnerved when we move into something we designed and then start to hear it
"snap, crackle and pop" as it seeks equilibrium - there is always that fear
of mistake! I become complacent about the noises in my home as I grew used
to the sounds and can't really tell how long after moving in that the sounds
ceased.

I still think the clients problem is related to the interior steel stud
walls. Assume for the moment that the roof trusses are now flat at the
bottom chord (camber removed by the long term dead load of the roofing
materials). Also assume that the steel stud walls lacked the clearance to
the boom chord of the truss as is typical in non-bearing partitions. If the
wall  were a bit too tall, the bottom chord of the trusses would start to
bear some load on the walls, causing some bending in the wall. So far this
seems like the most reasonable cause.

Thanks for the ideas, Bob.

Dennis