From: Yang, Liao/ANC [mailto:LYang(--nospam--at)CH2M.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 3:14 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Cc: Aho, John/ANC
Subject: RE: Alaska

Alaska has most earthquakes too, large and small. Believe or not, serious
discussion has been going on to utilize the energy generalized by earthquake
to produce electricity sell to Californian.

The basic idea is to build a farm of tall and flexible towers right above
the active fault. Then a large piece of magnet coil will be mounted on top
of each tower. When earthquake happens, the ground movement will cause the
magnet coil move back and forth in a period depended on the earthquake. The
structure shall provide maximum drift to amplify the ground shake during an
earthquake event and also shall has minimum energy dissipation.

It is estimated that there are enough earthquakes in Alaska to produce the
electricity that more than California needed. And if not, some nuclear
underground explorations may be used to induce the earthquakes.