Re: Need Practical Mechanics of Matl's/Structural Analysis Book

I think I may have ranted a little too much.  My intended point was that
we are being test on pipe flow, water quality, traffic flow etc.  These
items will not help me in my current or desired position.  I have
nothing but respect for the P.E.'s in my office (all but one are also CA
S.E.'s).  They are all extremely qualified when it comes to structural
design.  That doesn't mean I would hire them to design my sprinkler
system.....  This also brings me to another point that was brought up
earlier, what is gained by testing me on material that is not pertinent
to my job.  I would be BREAKING THE LAW if I tried to design a waste
water treatment plant, why should I know what levels of minerals are
allowed in drinking water?  These are the questions that my mentors
could not answer.

Back to the original thread.  I did not study structural items at all.
I spent my time on the morning session.  This was good and bad.  I felt
the morning session was very easy, and I think I did pretty well in the
afternoon.  My own biggest gap was geotechnical.  I was not prepared to
design piles and did not have any references that could help me.  I hope
that helps a little.

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT