An Option to nukes or turning Texas into a reservior...

Deja Vu, Remember the 70's energy crisis...

In the 70's, solar power was a popular topic of discussion after the oil
embargo.  At the time, solar power was not an economical option due to price
and efficiency.  It was thought as an option for the future and  that it
would never work unless the government got involved.  (Check out the space
program!)

Of course both price and efficiency have improved...it is "the future"
...and the California government HAS become involved by offering rebate
incentives, up to 50% off with The Emerging Renewables Buy-Down Program

http://www.energy.ca.gov/greengrid/ <http://www.energy.ca.gov/greengrid/>

By adding photovoltaics to my roof, and changing out my old dangerous floor
gas heater to an electric heater that doubles as a fireplace, I will reduce
my gas bill as well as generate all the electricity I need.  The whole
system will pay for itself in 8 years or less depending on the price of
traditional energy.  (This does not include the price of the new heater.  I
consider that a maintenance expense.)

Although it may still not be an economic option for some, it is a viable
option for those who really want to set an example, get off the grid, and
stop building power plants.

...just my opinion

Sharon Robertson Bonds, PE
Salerno/Livingston Architects