RE: Running applications from the Web?

I took the original message as only having a price issue.

If you rent a fax program to use it once in a while, or if you rent any
other software for a one time use, providing you know how to use the
software; it's probably worth - versus to buy that software.  It is
something like going across the street at the drugstore to make a photocopy
of a document.  You don't buy a photocopier only because occasionally you
need a photocopy.  However, this kind of software, like a fax, or a word
processor, usually comes with every computer you buy, nowadays.
When it is about software like SAP, ETABS or STADD, first of all you need to
learn how to use it, and this takes time, a lot of time; then you model your
structure and run it.  You want to run it a few times, you will change
something here, there, to improve, to optimize your structure.  At least,
when it is about me, I am not able to model a structure and to get the best
results from the first time.
And maybe two months later the architect, or client, wants to change
something.  Another run!  Of course, these costs are adding up to your bill.

When you need to use this software, the structure you are designing is
priced accordingly.  With two or three projects like this, you get a full
return of your money, without having to hear the clock ticking and counting
your renting bill.

Vlad Cernescu
simina(--nospam--at)idirect.com