RE: New home noises - need some advice?

George,
I disagree with you on the screw pull though. I've done enough metal stud
homes to know that it is not uncommon for the framer or drywall sub to strip
the screws from over torqueing them - especially since they use a screw gun.
When this happens, the screw many not easily back out but there is some
"shank" movement and if the threads are in contact with the flange metal
(and the hole oversized from over torquing) the screw sill back out with a
pop that is the thread ridge snapping against the metal.
I have had this occur more often with screwing plywood into the studs than
drywall, but I think it would be possible through drywall (especially if the
gypsum was crushed and not visible because of taping).

I have a problem with a water line and this is much different. When the
sprinkler goes on, the water line produces a rhythmic knocking against the
wall or studs. Sounds like someone took a hammer to the house. My next door
neighbor is a plumbing contractor and when I first mentioned it to him, he
knew right away what the cause was. The strap holding the pipe (PVC) in
place broke or loosened and when the water surges thought the line, it
creates a knocking (with a back beat:O).

No, I think the most rational explanation is the screw to light gauge studs.
I agree that the temperature swings are not sufficient inside to have much
effect, but the sound originates in the lower walls and not the attic area.
At any rate,  I will see it early next week and have suggested attic fans to
her as one thought. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Dennis