Re: "Pre-Engineered" Metal Buildings

Fellow Engineers,

	A word of warning about "pre-engineered" buildings.  I encountered
problems with this type of structure being undersigned a few years ago
when I was with the Fluor organization and later with other employers.

	The problems I personally encountered were generally regarding
insufficient capacity to resist the specified snow loading and were
related to only one or two vendors, however, other engineers had other
problems with other vendors as well.  The Association of Professional
Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta, (APEGGA, our
licensing organization) went so far as to send out written warnings to
all members regarding this problem.

	I would, therefore, suggest that owners, users, and engineers reviewing
these buildings not take anything for granted regarding the suitability
of these buildings for the intended use.

	I don't wish to suggest that these buildings should not be used; that
is not the case.  There are many good applications for these buildings.
Just use some caution.

				Respectfully submitted,

				H. Daryl Richardson