From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 9:19 PM
To: SEAOC List
Subject: Increasing Kl/r

I would like to bounce some thoughts by you.

I am looking at some existing trusses (wide flange chords, pipe webs) with a
130 foot span.  For the new loading condition, everything checks out OK
except one diagonal compression element at the third panel from each end
(section changes at two end panels).

The sections have sufficient area to carry the required forces if the Kl/r
could be reduced.  The area is sensitive to welding, and we would like to
create a bolted solution if possible.

The concept is to split a larger diameter section, add interior ribs at
approx. 24" like a plane fuselage and bolting flanges, and encapsulate the
existing member for the full length minus a foot ea. end.  The two halves
would be attached with high strength bolts pulling the ribs uptight against
the existing member (design would allow sufficient gap to ensure the
interior member is clamped).

The resulting section would then be viewed as the original section only for
stresses, but as a combined section for buckling resistance. An r value
would be calculated for the combined section with both the existing and new
parts contributing.

What opinions do you have?  Do you see something I am missing?

Paul Feather