From: T. Eric Gillham PE [mailto:teric(--nospam--at)gk2guam.com]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 10:33 AM
To: seaoc list
Subject: "Pre-Engineered" Metal Buildings

*** Not sure if specific topic has been covered before, but a quick search of the archives didn't turn up anything.

I would like some opinions on the stamping of so called "pre-engineered" metal buildings, particularly in the case where the manufacturer does not have a registered engineer in the locale where the building will be constructed.

My take on it is that there are no "pre" engineered structures --> all buildings are (or should be) engineered, it is only a question of who does the design work.  If it were possible to pre-engineer a building, then one could have a "pre"-engineered 40 storey R/C SMRF building, not just a 1 storey metal frame building.

Does anyone have any comments, preferably experience based, as to how their local building depts handle such structures that are not stamped by an engineer licensed in their juridiction?  Do the manufacturer's just get the plans rubber stamped (not an option for our office), or is some sort of exception made for that class of structure?  Or are ALL structures considered to be subject to the same rules and regs?

Any comments would be appreciated.

T. Eric R. Gillham PE
PO Box 3207 Agana Guam 96932
Ph:   (671) 477-9224