RE: Alternatives to Post-Tensioning Construction

We have about 20 condo towers (10 to 50 stories) in design or construction
in Chicago....

All of them are two way flat plates.

High rise Residential buildings are typically not built out of steel...

Typically, flat plates are used as the conduit and plumbing can be cast in
the slab.

The slab also serves as the ceiling for the unit below.

Post tensioning is only used in residential buildings (to my knowledge) in
the parking garage, where
Longer clear spans (60'-0") are needed for the stalls and drive aisles...and
even then, it's usually on the beams that are PT.

The typical residential floors are mild reinforced.

Good luck!

David L. Fisher, SE, PE
Senior Principal
Fisher+Horos Structural Engineers