RE: Alternatives to Post-Tensioning Construction

Post-tensioned floors with concrete shear walls are the construction of
choice for multifamily and hotels buildings in our area (California). The
reasons you cited are precisely the main justification for it. The reduced
height allows them to pack more stories in a limited height that may be
required by planning or FAA limitations. In California we also require a
sound (STC) rating of 50 between each unit and concrete is one the most
efficient ways of achieving it. Another factor is serviceability, as you
know steel construction is quite susceptible to vibration, which is not very
desirable in residential occupancy.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA