RE: Alternatives to Post-Tensioning Construction

Of the several dozen residential project I am aware of having been done in
the last few years in the Seattle area, any that were too tall to be wood
were P.T. flat plates.  P.T. typically allows a shallower floor system than
steel framing or mild steel slabs.  The P.T. also tends to reduce deflection
problems that can occur in mild steel slabs.  Ducts and conduits can be
burried in the slab, which is an advantage overall even if it is not
something I enjoy as an engineer.  Openings are not very hard to deal with
if placed *before* the slab is poured.  It becomes more difficult to place
openings afterwards, however, as it is not a great idea to hit cables,
although a few will get broken by careless plumbers from time to time.  Jobs
that anticipate cutting a large number of openings in the slab throughout
the building's life are typically not P.T.

Paul Crocker, P.E.