Re: question: heat endurance of concrete

To Cahyo Sumeru,

	I have done designs and restoration work for rectangular tanks used to
store liquid sulphur which has a melting temperature of about 243
degrees Fahrenheit.  The two main problems with these tanks are 1)
stresses caused by differential temperatures, and 2) chemical
corrosion.  The actual magnitude of the temperature has not caused any
problems to my knowledge.

	It is important to control differential temperatures both through
design (using insulation, etc.) and through service operating procedures
(controlling rates of temperature change during start-up, etc.).
Detailing of reinforcement is critical!

	I published a paper in collaboration with Dr. L. E. Rodway on this
topic, "Reinforced Concrete Liquid Sulphur Storage Tanks" in Energy
Processing/Canada, January-February 1979 issue.  There is one
typographical error in the paper; the quantity (1-u) should read (1-2u);
but a structural engineer would know that.  This paper was published in
the year 6 B.C. (Before Computer, my computer that is) so I can not
e-mail you a copy; but you should be able to get it through the library
system.  If not, let me know and I'll send you a copy via snail mail.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson