Re: Web4engineers Emailer

Hi Rick,

My main concern is the fact that I know I can't just say "I want to use COSMOS on this job", rent it from REI, and then do the work and produce a design. With all structural analysis software, there has to be a learning curve AND confidence that the results are accurate. Within the last 6 months, I have learned CSI's main three programs, Etabs, Safe, and SAP2000. After a month of using Etabs, I thought I was doing pretty good. Four months later, I am still learning the better methods of utilizing its capabilities. Each program has its own little nuances, modeling requirements, and input/output formats. This can takes months to master. I just can't see it being good to have a bunch of designs floating generated by first time software users.

On the otherhand, programs like Enercalc might be different because they are relatively simple, common modules, that have easy input, and can be verified easily.

Do you get the manuals? How about hardware locks. Is there a $2 dollar late fee per day overdue?

I generally don't mind getting emails regarding structural software upgrades and new products. It just seemed a little weird to me to get the REI email when they are promoting the use of Enercalc and COSMOS. Didn't REI also advertise something to the effect of " Hey architects, don't use engineers anymore, send us you design and we'll run it in STAAD for you and give you back all the output to decifer" Plus, a few months back emails were sent to this list indicating REI as the source, who promptly denied any involvement.

Just my thoughts.
-Gerard
>>> rculean(--nospam--at)yahoo.com 05/09/01 09:09AM >>>
Hi

Funny...I was posing the same question earlier about
renting apps online...then i got this email from the
same company...I called them up and talked to their
Bus Dev rep...it's all legitimiate...but it is not
REI...apparently they have spun off another division
called Web4engineers...they have agreements with RISA,
Cadopia (I think they make Intellicad), SpaceGass,
COSMOS and other Research prodcuts. They apparently
share the same email server which is why it came from
a Research email address. They split the revenues with
each of the companies. What do you guys think? I know
some of you engineers responded, but what about the
following points:

1) Small businesses who don't want to buy a $20,000
detailing package or a $50,000 FEM package (like
NASTRAN or ADINA) but still need the power to do
something for a particular job. I know we had to do
some geo work for a battered pile once. Would havebeen
nice if we could have rented L-PILE instead of buying
a copy and billing the client.

2) Clients ask you to use a particular software.

3) Infrequent use of software in certain disciplines
that we structural engineers need to dabble in once in
a while

4) Don't have to worry about computer specs, hardware
keys, etc.

5) Can access it from anywhere (multiple offices can
centralize their software)...a lot of job trailers now
have Internet access...

What do you guys think? Our company is looking into
this. We have 6 offices. Please let me know.

Thanks

Rick