RE: Alternatives to Post-Tensioning Construction

Post tensioning systems have come a long way since the 70's.  A typical
modern system includes complete factory-encasement of the strands in a
waterproof grease and then an extruded plastic sheath and either of the two
main types of anchorage available:

1) standard anchors which are bare castings and provide minimum protection
to the gripper zone and the transition between the anchor and the strand.

2) fully encapsulated, electrically isolated anchors that are completely
covered in a thick plastic coat, have a grease cap over the gripper pocket
and a plastic trumpet that fully engages and seals the strand sheathing to
the anchor sheathing.

A properly detailed PT system will provide excellent performance over the
life span of the structure.  In areas where salt exposure is a problem the
typical system recommended is the fully encapsulated one.  Further
protection can be provided with proper specification of low-shrinkage,
high-density concrete containing fly ash and/or silica fume.

The durability of any concrete structure, PT reinforced or otherwise, is
predicated on proper and timely maintenance coupled with good detailing and
construction practices.  The reasons previously stated by others on the list
note the benefits of PT.  I would however try to locate penetrations early
on in the design process and only locate conduit parallel with and in the
slab. Plumbing should be kept out of the decks for maintenance reasons if
nothing else.

Nicholas Blackburn, PE

ps: On a related note what software does the List use for PT design.  We use
PT Data typically but I am familiar with Floor and ADAPT PT.