Re: Floor flatness/stair flatness

There was a series of articles on stairs in "Building Standards Magazine"
several years ago that might address sloping of stair treads.  This, I
believe, is more critical than floor flatness in a school situation as a
tread sloping to the nosing tends to throw a person forward.

The common specification for floor flatness years ago was a deviation of not
more than 1/8" from a 10-ft. straightedge.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

James Cohen wrote:

. > With regard to Stan Scholl's question, there are no building
. > specifications. The building is circa 1917 and was remodeled over 10
. > years ago as a school. There should be regulations which still control,
. > however, as this is an educational building, regardless of age.

. > With regard to Mark Nowmos' questions, the school is in Yardley, PA, it
. > is a N-8 school. There is no ADA compliance in the school, but I believe
. > the remodeling predates these requirements.

. > For information, I recently measured floor slopes in excess of 2.5 deg at
. > various locations including across hallways, down stair treads and along
. > the length of hallways at ridges in the floor profile.