RE: residential pier foundation design

The 1999 version of ACI 318 (sect.  1.1.5) was changed to include piers for
structures in high seismic risk areas.

Ed Haninger
Fluor Daniel
Aliso Viejo, CA

"Jeff Smith" <smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com> on 05/09/2001 06:56:35 PM

To:   <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc:

Subject:  RE: residential pier foundation design

Thanks  everyone for the replies. I just found out that my original inquiry
to another  engineer ended up bouncing around a few of the big offices in
San Francisco.  Some were not aware of the zone 3&4 1% Ag rule in the 97UBC
and one was  preparing for a big 5 digit increase in rebar. One explained
that UBC never  picked up on chapter 1 of ACI that indicates that its
provisions do not apply to  portions of piles embedded in the ground.

the views of the company.