RE: Old Steel Joist Properties

>From 1974 Vulcraft Steel Joists and Joist Girders a 22VH5 has the following
properties:

Depth 22"
Resisting Moment 404 inch-kips
Max. End Reaction 4800 lbs
Moment of Inertia 146.6 inches4
Weight 8.5 plf

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprague, Harold O. [mailto:SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 1:27 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Old Steel Joist Properties

If it is a hand drawn designation, the intent could have been 22LH5.  If the
joist end depth is 5", it is probably an LH joist.  If it is 2 1/2" depth,
then you are back to scratching your head.

I think that we need a few more clues:
	About what year is the construction?
	What geographic region is it?
	Someone else already suggested getting the tag from the joists.  I
have retrieved tags from joists by LaClede constructed in the 1950's.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague